Housed bearings are categorized by the type of bearing that is inserted into the housing. The two types are ball bearing units and roller bearing units. This guide will focus primarily on those mounted unit bearings using radial ball bearing inserts. These units are available in a wide variety of configurations and serve an even wider array of applications. The illustrations on this page show some of the major types of mounted units featuring radial ball bearing inserts available from Bearings, Belts & Chain.
- Pillow block units
- Two-bolt flange units
- Three-bolt flange units
- Four-bolt flange units
- Four-bolt square piloted flange units
- Four-bolt round piloted flange units
- Take-up units
- Cylindrical cartridge units
- Hanger units
- Other specialized flange units
As mentioned, the wide range of mounted bearing units includes others that feature roller bearing inserts and heavier duty housings.
- Plummer block units — Also known as split pillow blocks, these units are designated as SAF or SN units.
- Pillow block units — these units feature sealed spherical bearing inserts and one-piece housing for simplified installation and superior bearing protection.
- SFCW flange block units —these flanged units are sealed, one-piece constructed units.